Saturday, October 3, 2009

Brioche

Something about the the crisp fall weather brings out the inner baker in me.  Now that the heat of summer has passed, I want to turn on the oven again.  With a basement full of wedding gifts, including many kitchen gadgets, I'm feeling inspired to bake up a storm. 

In 1998 I tasted brioche for the first time in Paris.  I was an angsty 18 year old then...so I'm not sure I appreciated it as much as I would today, but I'll never forget that first bite.  There is something so unique and delicious about this rich bread that is unforgettable. 

When I stumbled across Dorie Greenspan's article Brioche Made Easy in October's Bon Appetite magazine I decided that I would attempt to make my own.

I doubled the recipe and used half to make the beautiful bubble-top brioches she describes and used the remaining dough to make some amazing cinnamon rolls.  I'm not the most patient person in the world, so this recipe tested my patience.

The goods before rising



After rising




After about 20 minutes in a 350 degree oven





The result?  While it wasn't the best brioche I've ever tasted, it was pretty dang good!  Personally, I think I preferred the cinnamon rolls.  To make them I rolled out the dough to about 1/3", brushed it with about 3 tablespoons of butter (yes, more butter!), and sprinkled with 1/2 cup sugar and 1 tablespoon cinnamon.  Then simply roll it up and cut into 1" pieces and let rise.  I made a simple glaze of powdered sugar, milk and vanilla for a little added sweetness. 

Will I make it again?  Most definitely!

2 comments:

  1. making me hunry. You are right this cool weather makes a person fell like baking. Will let you know how they turn out. Laura

    ReplyDelete