Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Apple Spice Cake

Recently, I was given about 20 pounds of apples, and I need to use them up soon! I've already made an apple pie and a crisp.... so, making an apple cake seemed like a good progression.

I found this Fuji Apple Spice Cake with cream cheese frosting in the October Bon Appétit magazine. In general I don't really like cakes with fruit and nuts in it...but the cream cheese frosting sounded amazing and I liked the rustic look of the cake.

I substituted the Fuji apples for Haralsons (becuase I'm certainly not going to buy more apples at this point!) and used rum.  I also chopped the pecans that went into the cake so they were very fine.  Otherwise I followed the recipe to a T.

Amazing cream cheese frosting
















The finished product

The verdict? Haralsons are more tart than Fuji, so the cake was not as sweet as some may like it....but I thought it balanced well with the cream cheese frosting. For some reason I seem to have issues making frosting, but this one was super easy and was one of the best cream cheese frostings that I have ever tasted!

1 comment: